by GetEnglishLessons on 09/06/10 at 9:45 am
When we report what another person has said, we usually do not use the speaker’s exact words (direct speech), but reported (indirect) speech. Therefore, you need to learn how to transform direct speech into reported speech. The structure is a little different depending on whether you want to transform a statement, question or request.
Use these printable worksheets with students that are studying Indirect/ Reported Speech.
Reported Speech Statements Download Worksheet
ANSWER TO Reported Speech Statements
1. They said that that was their problem.
2. She said she had gone to the doctor the day before.
3. He said he was doing an exam the next day.
4. You said you would do that for me.
5. She said she was not hungry then.
6. They said they had never been there before.
7. They said they had been to Paris the week before.
8. He said He would have finished that by the next day.
9. He said he wouldn’t go to the party.
10. She said that it was very cold in there.
ANSWER TO Reported Speech Questions
1. She asked me where the bank was.
2. She asked me what time it was.
3. She asked me where Robert worked.
4. She asked me what time the buses left.
5. She asked me what time the stores closed.
6. She asked me how often the teacher went there.
7. She asked me where my friend was going.
8. She asked me where he had gone.
9. She asked me what time my friend had arrived.
10.She asked me when the classes finished.
ANSWER TO Reported Speech Requests
1. She told me to go upstairs.
2. He told me to close the door behind me.
3. He advised us not to be late.
4. She told him to stop staring at her.
5. He asked her not to be angry with him.
6. She told me to leave her alone.
7. She warned us not to drink and drive.
8. She told John to stop smoking.
9. They told her not to worry about them.
10. He asked me to meet him at the cinema.
Search for more:
Check out this chart with Place and Time word change for Indirect speech: